Tuesday, November 13, 2007

JCPenny 1977 Viral Post

My local gabbai sent me a pointer to this post:

Strap in, shut up and hold on. We're going back.

which has apparently gone viral. Pictures from a recently unearthed 1977 JCPenney catalogue, all the worst excesses of 1970s plaid jackets and paisley Western shirts.

Sure, it's fun to laugh at how silly they/we looked 30 years ago. But think back to that era, if you're over 40. The plaid jackets - everybody wore them in those years. I had a green large-plaid jacket as my good jacket in 6th grade (1976-77), which I wore with dark green polyester pants and a lime-green tie, and thought I looked cool. And this is my Dad's publicity photo from that period (hat tip Del Staigers Tribute Page)

man in plaid jacket holding trumpet

The stripes are light and dark blue on a white background, and if I remember correctly, the shirt was a sort of orangey-brown, like butternut squash.

He still has the jacket hanging in the closet, but I don't think he's worn it in 25 years. Dad generally has good taste in clothes, and that was fashionable back then, even if it looks like Herb Tarlek on a bad day today.

I will point out that when he performed, it tended to be in a plain black-and-white tux, as befits an orchestra musician.

No comments: