Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Harry Potter and Torah: New Book

A new book is out, haven't read it yet, but it looks good.

The title: Harry Potter and Torah. The author is Dr. Dov (Bruce) Krulwich
Click on the title to go to the book's website, or its blog.

The book links ideas in the Harry Potter books with ideas from Torah and Chazal. For example, the sample chapter on the website links multiple instances of z'chut avot (merit of the ancestors) to the mother-love that protected Harry from Voldemort.

I've ordered it, looks worth a good read.

Also, the author is my second cousin.


5 comments:

Esser Agaroth said...

B"H I hope you keep us updated, if you decide to review this book. Kishuf, yes. Torah? Sounds interesting. I'll have to give this some thought.

Personally, I've read HP #5 and #6 three times each, and would be happy to discuss with ou who R. A. B. might be. ;-)

BTW, I borrowed the HP books from a Yerushalmi friend in Me'ah Sha'arim! Who knew? Shhhhh! Don't tell!

thanbo said...

My wife's theory: Regulus A. Black. Sirius' brother, I think. And that they found the real locket already in the 5th book - it was one of the trinkets Kreacher was trying to hide.

Anonymous said...

Is reporter Sara Krulwich related ?

thanbo said...

Yes, she's Bruce's cousin. She's a photographer, not a reporter. Sara's brother Robert is a TV reporter. Robert's wife Tamar Lewin also writes for the NY Times. I see from Wiki that Robert was at college (Oberlin) at the same time as another cousin of ours (Dr. Herb Zeman), but I don't know if they knew each other then.

Apparently all Krulwiches are related, under various spellings.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jonathan, long time, no see. not really since boyscouts.

please e-mail me. Dov/Bruce is my neighbor. you need to edit this post.

Moshe Simon

mdshoshan@gmail.com